Sunday, August 06, 2006

Recap

Well we’ve been back from vacation for almost a week. We had a great time, did the tourist thing, a little shopping, a little partying and hardly any resting; therefore I am still recovering.

We came home to a nice surprise. My 5 year old is now officially enrolled in Connections Academy and we have already received all of the curriculum, her computer, monitor and printer. We’ve set it all up and everything is ready to go. There is one more package in the mail which we have yet to receive but inshallah we’ll find out shortly what that may be. August 10th is the official first day of school and I have already logged onto the connections academy website and have run the scheduler and already see all of our lesson plans. It’s very nicely set up and extremely easy to navigate. So far I am very pleased with the service. I even called in last week to ask a question and I got a very quick, accurate and polite response.

Connections Academy basically is a public school, but the child is learning from home. They are government funded and you are registered with them like you would be any public school but you are the child’s learning coach at home, helping them and teaching them. The child does have a “certified” teacher that I have to continuously keep in touch with and send my child’s portfolio to them periodically. They then mark our papers and grade us, etc… It’s all taken care for you. I’m very excited to see how it all turns out this year.

Madressa is also starting on the 13th and this year I have been “volunteered” to teach. I’m actually co-teaching the pre-k and kindergarten classes. So both of my daughters will also be my students; can’t wait to see how that turns out!

I have many pictures to share, especially from Niagara Falls and also from African Lion Safari (which was a blast). We were on an elephant!!! :)

I will post pictures and write more soon, Inshallah.

2 comments:

  1. glad you're back, that was a looong vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it does seem it when you say you're going for a whole month. But the month goes by so fast you don't even get to do everything that you had planned. It was fun though! :)

    ReplyDelete