Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Restless Legs Syndrome

Restless legs syndrome is a disorder in which your legs feel very uncomfortable if they have been dormant for a while. I’ve had this pretty much all my life and it got significantly worse during pregnancy. I cannot go on a long car ride without my legs starting to automatically kick after a while. It’s a weird tingling/twitching that I just have no control over. It affects me at other times of the day as well; luckily it doesn’t really keep me up at night.

I’ve come to the realization that my two year old has also inherited this from me. However for her, it does wake her up at night. Sometimes she does go to sleep in her own bed after we have story time and prayers and lullabies she gets all tucked in like her big sister and says goodnight and falls asleep. However a few hours later she wakes up kicking like crazy and I carry her back to my bed and massage her legs until she falls asleep all cuddled up to me. This continues for the rest of the night with her waking up after every hour or so and me massaging her back to sleep. This has been happening for about 6 months now. I never used to massage her legs before and her sister never gets massaged either, but once when she was kicking with her eyes closed I started to do that to stop her and she fell right to sleep in a minute.

I finally went and did some research on it which helped me understand it a bit better so I thought I would write about it in case some of you have it and are unaware of it.

Here are some very informative websites:
Restlesslegs.com – A resource for people with Restless Legs Syndrome
Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation – List of support groups
Wemove.org – Worldwide education and awareness for movement disorders

No comments:

Post a Comment