Thursday, March 02, 2006

Teaching your child to read!

There are some great (and very expensive) programs out there that will assist you in teaching your child how to read. Here are some things that I do and have done with my four year old that has helped a great deal.

1.)
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons - I cannot say enough about this book because this is the book that started it all! I actually bought this book and started using it before I was even “officially” homeschooling. In three months a three year old girl went from knowing the abc song and a few letters to reading at 2nd grade level. Now that 4 year old girl today is reading at 4th grade level. A four year old is reading chapter books and I know she would not have been at this level so quickly if it hadn’t been for the amazing phonics lessons taught in this book. She can sound out any word!

2.)
Reading Rescue 1-2-3 - This is the next book that I have been using with her after using “Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons.” It has so much good advice on how to teach your child to rhyme and how to use the “to with and by” technique, and much more. This has also helped in her reading tremendously. The author of this book also has a great website too that has pretty much all the info on it: Teach a child to read!

3.) Take your child to the library or bookstore weekly! I take her to the library at least once a week, no matter what! We have story time every Thursday at our local library which I try and make it to every week. She checks out 30-40 different books every week, and reads them all!

4.) Read to your child! I read to her at least two times a day for at least 15 minutes each time. But usually it’s much more and much longer than that. I also have her read to me at least 15 minutes a day too, which is her favorite part of the day! She loves to read and loves being read to.

5.) Read in front of your child! Make a time of the day which is a reading time for the whole family. All of you sit in one room together and mom reads her own book and the children read their own books quietly in their heads. Obviously my toddler doesn’t read quietly, she opens up her books and babbles on like she knows what she’s reading, but it’s very easy to tune out and it’s very important to include her in this family event. This shows that reading is an important part of the day in everyone’s lives.

I guarantee that if you spend a few minutes daily with your child just reading one or two books to them, they will quickly learn to read themselves; some children pick it up on their own.

Some additional books and websites that can also assist with reading:

A Home Start in Reading (Grades K-3)by Ruth Beechick – If you are going to purchase this book, I suggest you invest a few extra dollars more and purchase The Three R's- This set of three books sold at Amazon.com is a great buy because it not only has A Home Start in Reading (Grades K-3)but two other books by Dr. Beechick that are also very good for homechoolers An Easy Start in Arithmetic (Grades K-3)(which is a wonderful book) and Strong Start in Language: Grades K-3 Three R's Series) (which is great for grammar).

Starfall.com - The Starfall learn-to-read website is offered free as a public service.

StudyDog.com - StudyDog Basic is a full curriculum software reading program for pre-K through 2nd grade. (And it’s free!)

I hope I have answered all the questions I got regarding this subject. When I started this blog, I really didn’t expect people to actually read it. I was just using it as a journal to record my thoughts but I’m glad people are finding it useful and helpful.

For now this is all the info I have. If I think of anything else, I will make sure and add it!” by Ruth Beechick

4 comments:

  1. The first one you mentioned is really popular in homeschool circles and charter schools, etc. Just be very careful in whatever you use to work with children on comprehension and not just speed or pronunciation. Some programs emphasize speed and the students read really fast but have no idea what they just read because they're not thinking about what it means. So just always ask kids about what they read, what it means, what they think about it, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually that is one thing that I am really amazed at, and that is her comprehension level. I always discuss every single book with her that she has read or that I have read to her and it amazes me how she remembers every single detail from the book, and in her own words. I don't know how she is able to comprehend everything she does because I know this is not something she learned from any of the books or websites I listed. I guess it's just because we always have a discussion about whatever we are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the info and suggestions, i really need to get motivated in this area inshaAllah.

    ReplyDelete