Sunday, February 12, 2006

"Everybody has a Bellybutton"

A family friend is VERY pregnant and my four year old saw her everyday during the majaalis and asked about it. So since I promised myself that I would always be open and honest with her about everything I took her to the library and we found an AWESOME book in the non-fiction section that I wanted to blog about. It’s called Everybody Has a Bellybutton: Your Life Before You Were Born by Laurence Pringle. It covers everything starting from how the female egg is joined with the male sperm and becomes a cell and then how it starts to drift and divide into a cluster of many cells towards the uterus. Then it gets nourished by the placenta, becomes an embryo, then a fetus. It talks all about the umbilical cord and how the baby grows inside and when it’s born and how it feels. This wonderful book has beautiful descriptive pictures that really helped her see and understand it all. After reading it with her once and talking about it, I have seen her reading it over and over again to herself and sharing it with the rest of the family. She was so fascinated by it! This is a book that I will be purchasing for her so it will be a part of our library at home.

3 comments:

  1. My 4yr old daughter is also very curious on this subject. i tried to explain it in a simple way. thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great book, I hope you find it as helpful as I did! :) I love your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete