Sunday, February 12, 2006

Ashura

On ashura my family had decided to stay at home to do the A'maal of ashura instead of at our Islamic center because we knew it would be too much for the girls to sit through, and then the majaalis after that as well. So we lined up all the prayer mats in the living room and prayed together. Of course the girls did not follow everything we did, my four year old did most of it, but my two year old just sat and played with her prayer beads. It was really nice to be able to do that with them and explain everything to my four year old as we went along. She got to read the English translation of it along with us so she understood what we were reading. She was so fascinated to learn about all the different aspects of it. She was especially eager to do the part where you walk back and forth seven times just as Imam Hussain (as) did when he was taking Hazrat Ali Asghar back to the camp after he was pierced with the arrow.

I was surprised to see how much she understood everything just after ten days of talking and reading about it. She knows most of the martyrs’ names and how they were killed. I thought perhaps telling her the whole truth might be a little too much for her at this age, but then I figured that I should always be very open and honest with her about everything and then if she has a hard time dealing with something, just help her get through it as much as I can. I don’t want to sugar-coat anything because I want her to realize just how big there sacrifice was, even at her age. I can see a difference in her already. She is much less self-absorbed and thinks more about the world.

Eventhough the speaker read the majaalis in urdu and she barely understands that language, she listened to him very closely and asked me anything she didn’t understand. Since my urdu is pretty bad as well, I answered to the best of my ability. Now she says when she’s older she wants to recite at the majaalis as well.

3 comments:

  1. I think that was a wonderful choice for your family to stay home and do the amaal together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it was nice to have that time together as a family on that day. And we got to the center just in time, right as the majaalis started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not trying to make any political statement, but when it comes to Karbala - do also teach your children not to be PREJUDICED and not get infected with malice and hatred towards the other closer companions from Abu Bakr and his daughter Ayesha.

    I have seen so many chidlren, ending up with misguided version of companionship and love - when your own wife cannot be expected to be loyal - To do teach her the that Prophet Muhammad loved Ayesha and she recriprocated in return.

    ReplyDelete