Saturday, January 14, 2006

Highway driving!

Okay long story short: I've never had a driver's license before until about a year and a half ago. Since then I've only driven on the highway four times while my husband was sitting beside me. I've wanted to get over my fear of the highway, so today I ventured out. Now please realize that this may seem trivial to you, but it’s a big deal to me. I have no fear of driving at all. I drive everyday for at least an hour all over the place; however I always find my way through small streets completely avoiding the highway. Well I’m sick of it and I wanted to be able to drive on the highway like a normal person.

My first time alone I wanted full concentration so left the girls at home with my husband and went for about an hour. When I first merged in I got the feeling you get when you really don’t want to go on a roller coaster but you do anyways and you’re sitting there waiting for it to start and totally regretting your decision. But finally when it does start you realize it’s not as bad as you thought and you even start to enjoy yourself. That’s EXACTLY how it was. I got on and thought: “WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!” But then it was all fine. I actually enjoyed myself. The freedom of being alone, which hardly ever happens, even in the bathroom; and the feeling of accomplishment.

It also helped that I didn’t have a toddler and preschooler yelling for my attention from the backseat! :)

5 comments:

  1. Hey good for you sis! Yay! High five!

    I have so much time alone I could trade off with you a little bit insha'allah. :)

    I've been driving since I was 16 - parents actually pushed me into it because they felt I stayed home alone too much. I can kind of enjoy highway driving - it is actually more peaceful to me than the small streets because you just keep going without stops, pedestrians, etc. I never look forward to driving, but if I have to do it I enjoy the thinking time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I might be driving on the highway again today! woohoo!

    I grew up in Toronto and was so used to the bus and subway system that I just never bothered to get my license. But in Orlando, you need to have a car because the bus system sucks over here.

    I'd love to trade off some alone time. Especially these days, my toddler has been glued to me. Even though I stopped nursing her a year ago, she still sometimes misses it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here (and I think out west in general) public transportation is very minimal and everything is spread out. It is nothing to drive 160 miles in a day sometimes.... (although an average would be more like 40 or 50).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad that went well, alhamdulillah! I started getting concerned when you got into the roller-coaster analogy, but apparently there was nothing to worry about. hahaha.

    I love driving, and I use it mainly as thinking time, and for composing weblog entries in my head (transfering them to the computer, is a whole 'nother story, though, since I am lazy. ;)). And I agree with Otowi, highway driving is more peaceful than driving on city streets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salaam;

    It really took me a while to start driving on the interstate as opposed to regular roads. Those trucks whizzing by at deathstar speeds? Terrifying. I still get nervous when I'm first pulling onto the interstate from the, you know, whatsit, pull-on lane thingy. Once I get past that, though, I love it.

    ALONE time, yes! And like Yasmine -- do my best thinking-to-write when I'm driving long distance. :)

    ReplyDelete