Saturday, January 28, 2006

Eids, shaylas and the beach...

I’m sorry I’ve been MIA, it’s been a bit crazy around here. Eid-e-Ghadeer and Eid-e-Mubahila were fun and I tried to teach a bit about them to my four year old, don’t know how much really stuck since we only chatted about it and didn’t really do any projects or anything. Now that Muharram is going to start I definitely will be a lot busier, but inshallah will try my best to write whenever I can.

My sister went to Dubai about a month and ago and brought back some hijabs and some gorgeous shaylas for me. She also bought these adorable little shalwar kameezes for the girls and some toys. She lives in Toronto so she shipped it all and I just got the package yesterday. I love everything, my sister has amazing taste! So anyhow, here’s the dilemma. I totally suck at tying shaylas. What to do? I’ve had about two shaylas in my life and I have worn them maybe 2 times because I just can’t figure out how to wrap them properly. I’ve managed to do it once and it looked so nice but I don’t remember how I did it. I’m a bit of a perfectionist so it has to be absolutely perfect with every seam straight and no wrinkles, it’s very frustrating and time-consuming! For those professional shayla wearers, please HELP ME!!! Is there any REALLY good website on how to tie them? I’ve seen some sites but they just confused me more.

We went to the beach last week and I took some nice pictures so inshallah I’ll post them soon. The beach is so relaxing, just sitting in the sun and my girls love playing in the sand. I really need to get them into some swimming lessons soon, just haven’t got around to it.

I need to do some more highway driving, but now I’m coming down with a cold I believe. It never fails every year right before mohorram I start to get sick and then I end up missing the first few days of the majaalis. Alhamdolillah at least my girls are okay right now, I hope they don’t catch it from me.

3 comments:

  1. It took me a long time to figure out shaylas but I am starting to get the hang of it. It is easier if they are wider than if they are really narrow. But here is what I do:

    1. Put on an underscarf tube.
    2. Take the shayla and put it on top of my head. I line it up how I want it to be at the forehead. I leave most of it hanging on my right side, and on the left side I leave it hanging only as long as I want it to hang when I am all finished - usually past the breasts.
    3. I pin the shayla together under my chin with a hijab safety pin.
    4. Then I wrap the right side under my chin and over my head so that it hangs again on the right side. This has to be done tightly, and you have to kind of lay out the edge how you want it to go over head as you go. I don't worry about how it lays under my chin - I just make it work out by the time I get to the top of my head.

    5.Then I take a hat pin / hijab pin and use it to pin the right side that I am holding tightly right now to the layer underneath it and also to the underscarf. A long hat pin works best at holding things tightly. Then I just kind of fidgit things about a bit and let it go.

    I find natural fibers or stretchy fibers work best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I do somewhat the same thing, but didn't have the underscarf tube until now (my sis sent that as well) and it is MUCH easier with that, I tried it today. The hijab doesn't slip at all and the pin stays put on the underscarf. SOOOOO much easier. She got very wide and long shaylas because I told her to. I practiced some more today and I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I think the underscarf makes a huge difference, plus helps ensure full coverage.

    hope you feel better and don't miss the first few days of majlis insha'allah.

    ReplyDelete