Friday, December 09, 2005

Starting the homeschooling journey...

Ever since my first daughter was born it was always in the back of my mind to homeschool. But I didn't think much of it and pushed it aside assuming that I lacked all ability to do so. What I did notice about her was she was very good at understanding and remembering things from a very young age. Since she was about 18 months, if I told her something once then that was it, she had it down. Like all mothers that want to do well for their children I enrolled her in a private preschool when she turned 3 years of age. Not only did she not learn anything, her personality completely changed. She went from a shy, sweet little girl to a crying, whining thing with some attitude that she picked up from some of her "friends." Then about a year ago in January 2005, when she was 3.5 years old, I finally decided that I was going to homeschool her. I let her complete her year at the preschool but, with a lot of encourangement from my husband and other homeschooling moms that I knew, I started to teach her how to read. We started a book Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessonsaround March 2005. At that time she only recognized a few letters but she did know the alphabet song. We completed the book at the end of May 2005 and she was reading at 2nd grade level. On June 24, 2005 she was reading all "I can read books" that were designed for second graders. In August of 2005 I purchased Calvert's pre-k curriculum, even though she was already way ahead in reading. I figured that she was only 4 and she would enjoy all the arts and crafts, which she does. She begs me to homeschool her everyday and most of the time we do at least 2 lessons because she just doesn't want to stop.

To work on her reading we go to the library every Thursday for storytime and then we check out a whole bunch of books. Now after 6 months her reading has improvied incredibly, and she is only 4.5 years old. She can read just about anything, from the newspaper to my Jane Austen novels.

The one problem I have with her is that she has the ability to read, but she doesn't understand most of the things that she is able to read. We stick with books that are from about 2nd grade to 4th grade level. If we go beyond that it just doesn't interest her anymore because she doesn't comprehend it.

That's pretty much where our homeschooling journey has taken us so far. I will continue to add to this as I continue my efforts to educate her.

No comments:

Post a Comment